View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
It is not a problem to have a Kindle Touch in Canada. In fact, you can order one today from Amazon Canada. Your book selection will be smaller than if you had a US Amazon account, but that's an unfortunate byproduct of geo-restrictions, and will be the same for any device. OTOH, if it's a problem, it's fairly straight-forward to create a US Amazon account and use that -- it's what I do. And I keep a Canadian Kobo account for those few books that are available in Canada, but not in the US.

You'll need to format shift between ePub and Mobi/Kindle formats if you buy from a store that isn't your native store for the device. Doing so involves stripping DRM (legal for personal use in Canada at this time) and then converting with Calibre. (There is a Mac version.) All in all, a very minor nuisance, especially since you'll likely find Calibre a "must have" application for managing your books if you have very many of them.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Kindle, and the ease and simplicity of the interface. I've got a Kindle Keyboard, and find it almost impossible to read a conventional book any more. The Kindle has excellent dictionaries, but I honestly don't know what the situation is WRT bilingual dictionaries.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote