View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
mister_ed
Edge User

I was up just a wee bit too late last night doing this, but it worked for me. I wasn't 100.00000% successful, and there was a surprise along the way, but I'm going to try again.

The surprise came at this step:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot
4. Next, you need to move these backup files from the Titanium Backup folder on your phone (which is usually stored in your sdcard) to the Titanium Backup folder on your eDGe.
I assume that this wouldn't trip up you long-time fans of the device! But as a Johnny-come-lately (Eddie-come-wootly) I did stumble here for a moment.

On your donor device, where the gapps are coming from, Titanium probably backs up your stuff to the directory /sdcard/TitaniumBackup/. And as Titanium will tell you, on your PE (or my PE, anyway), Titanium restores from the directory /sdcard/TitaniumBackup/.

Oh, wouldst life be sweet if those actually. were. the same directories!

But no, the tiny chip of plastic that was /sdcard on your donor device has suddenly become /extsdcard on your (my) PE, and so like step 4 says, the files in /extsdcard/TitaniumBackup/ must be moved (or at least copied) to where Titanium will be looking for them, internal storage at /sdcard/TitaniumBackup/.

If you're an old command-line commando you can do this in a terminal emulator, but why not let a good file manager handle it for you? Root Explorer, suggested by kennyminot, is very handy (thanks for the tip!) because it can also change permissions and edit text. Which you could also do from the command line if only you could remember how to use the vi editor....

So everything went just fine for me, with one tiny issue remaining. When I was done and downloading apps with Google's Market, Market would crash two or three times ... for each file! It got the job done, but the process was a little ugly.

I'll look into that today. In the meantime, THANKS kennyminot !

-- Ed