View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I've always wanted to create a thread like this, I wonder why I never got to it...

They do sell black on preorder though!
The box I got says two models on them, black and white. Mine is white.
The idea of a black Jetbook Color has been on the table since the manufacturing of the JBC, Greg told me he knows they will manufacture the black ones after the preorders and regular orders calm down a bit. They have a large batch for schools still to manufacture.
They initially went for white because they thought it would be more popular (a marketing mistake if you ask me).
My estimation is that either by the end of April, they will either start the black batch, or start releasing it; as by then most of their pre-order and large batches of the device will be sold.

But for the mean time, for those who only have the white one (like me):
My 2ct:
I've been thinking about printing stickers on top of the cover that will fit the Jetbook's frame. There are 3 cons though:
1- Stickers tend to get loose over time
2- Stickers tend to lose color over time (especially in places where you hold the device often).
3- Stickers are nearly always glossy; it's hard to get your hands on a matte sticker.

I've tried using Permanent marker,black, on an old gameboy for testing, but permanent marker goes off even faster than stickers (and makes your hands dirty).
I used both the old permanent markers (with the forbidden toxic substance in it) and the newer (containing acetone)
Both faded over time in sunshine, and because of sweaty hands.

I've also thought of just replacing the plastic cover, that would be the best solution.
There are several machines able to print these covers, however they cost $1600, and people printing plastic pieces rather want to print replacement parts for their printers than to print covers (or they'll charge you a ridiculous amount for the time they took designing the frame)...

Last option would be if Ectaco would sell fronts, so that early adopters would be able to buy a black cover.

Best would be matte black, or dark grey/blue/red or very dark green. It looks less nice than white or brushed aluminum, but is better to the eyes.

What would also be nice is a grey front, matte, darker than the white background of the e-ink screen.

Ultimately, if you're a woodworker,you could fabricate your own cover out of wood (say Bamboo). It'd look very nice too!

But if you're cheap like me, stickers would be the best solution. Perhaps glue some color paper over the frame... lol...

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-21-2012 at 10:19 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote