View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #60
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
No s*it, Sherlock.

Glad you agree with me. Maybe you'll think a bit more deeply and realize that most consumers don't give a d#### about your precious ideal.
What consumers care about are price, convenience, simplicity, and user experience.
Think a little bit more and you'll understand that lot of why ebooks are convenient is precisely because of the cloud. Whispernet syncing-hello?
Just about the only part of the ebook experience that is not cloud based is the reading of the file on your local drive-a file that is delivered and updated from the cloud.
The offline reading piece is just the last piece to be filled in to make ebooks a complete cloud based experience. HTML 5.0makes that last peice possible.
Revind to your "fight" against CC. What that was about was that you wanted DVD sale model for movies, rather than a rental model. Time moved on and consumers embraced the rental model. At least part of the reason CC disappeared is precisely because they supported DVD sale model for movies and couldn't make the transition to a workable movie rental model.Victory for you, I guess .
In any case I think that a cloud subscription model WILL Be offered and publishers abnd booksellers WILL push it. If the public embraces it, well this whole DRM fight will be a sideshow.