View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
rolexconfuse
Connoisseur
rolexconfuse began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I get the impression that rolexconfuse is a university student. The device you require actually exist, it is a Russian e-Reader (I think it is called JetReader or JetBook). To make a device like that successful the maker need to sell it to the public sector, every student (K-12) will have the same reader loaded with the same text books. Increases in manufacturing costs are cancelled by decreasing marketing costs. A device like this is only feasible in a centralised education system, the manufacturer can market it to a Dept. of Education that will buy 2 million devices and distribute them through the school system. In a decentralized system marketing costs and distributions costs will be prohibitive. Those reading material in science will have different demands than those reading in social science or humanities. In a centralized system the central authorities can shove one e-Reader down everybody's throat.
I'm not a university student but I do work in the IT field. I have a ton of technical textbooks, documents, and PDFS that I have to read. Being that I'm stuck in front of a monitor 8 -10 hours a day frying my eyeballs I really don't want to read from a back lit screen for another 3-4 hours. As it is my eyes are strained.
rolexconfuse is offline   Reply With Quote