View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Is the second paragraph quite long? It is known that Kobo firmware, instead of splitting a long <p> in the middle (filling the current "page"), postpones it all together on the next "page". (Someone argued it is a problem with Adobe RMSDK, worsened by Kobo firmware, but I cannot confirm this lead.).
Hi APe, thanks for the thoughts.

No, the next para is quite short. But I recognise the action you're referring to, and yes my understanding is that it's an ADE thang as well. I sidestep it, by setting widows and orphans to zero at the top of the CSS, and I don't set line height or font size directly in my epubs — I leave that to settings in the eReader itself.

But I think I've found what the problem is: Kobo seems to have decided that that chapter alone was simply too long. I know about keeping chapters short, and that's somethign I generally do, but in this case there was no place to logically break it (without creating a spurious page break in the Reader, which is what I was trying to resolve anyway! ) The section was 108 logical pages long, and my Kobo just seems to have given up after about 90 pages and forced it into a pseudo-section break off its own bat.

Puzzling, because I've seen other worse-formatted spubs — even commercial ones! — with single sections longer than that.

May be a limitation of Kobo's code parsing.

Anyway, thanks folks — APe, pdurrrant, Doitsu — for your help.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote