View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #43
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
There are no assumptions made in my post, I simply described my experence
with Windows. As to the skills and knowledge needed to operate a computer
running under Windows, it certainly has not been beyond the capabilities of
a vast number of users. Simple and free AntiVirus software is, and has been
available for some time now. Again, in all the years of my use, of Windows
operating systems, I have never encountered this "nightmare". The only ones
I have even heard make the claim that some lack of security features in
Windows cause them problems, are ex-windows users who are now activists
for some other OS. Many people have been convinced that there is such a
problem out there and jump to the conclusion that any performance hit must
be a virus. For the most part, you have to invite the infected data onto your
system for it to appear there. For some it is easier to blame the OS than look
at their own contribution to the situation.
I will admit that I am no longer a Windows user. I was a big MS fan for years though, and often got the chance to test software (before the days of public betas), have invites for their black tie socials, etc. However, it was their politics that ended up turning me off them. They would make decisions that would negatively effect the quality of their product, and often fiscal savings wasn't the motive. End result was I was having to do more work for my personal projects, due to issues generated by MS, either patching security holes, or simply because things I was doing was now more difficult to do in newer versions (some functions and features became obscured for the sake of "user friendliness"). I switched to Linux because I could customize it to how I wanted, and I could do what I wanted to do quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have personally never heard of a Kindle virus nor have I ever heard of a kindle spreading any virus to a Mac or a PC in any way. The troubble is that the kindle does not use any version of Mac OS or Windows, therefore a virus needs to be specifically written for a Kindle and this has not happned as yet.
They're not talking about a virus that targets a kindle, but rather a virus that simply sees the kindle plugged into the computer (because it would appear as a Mass storage device) and ride along to infect the next computer it is plugged into. There are viruses that do such a thing.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote