View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #39
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
There are no assumptions made in my post, I simply described my experence
with Windows...Again, in all the years of my use, of Windows
operating systems, I have never encountered this "nightmare".
Ok, well then your assumption is that your experience running windows either is or perhaps ought (and this latter option seems to fit with the spirit of your post) to be the universal experience of all windows users. Basic inductive logic tells us that one counterexample defeats your assumption and, unfortunately, I can provide you with many counterexamples drawn from my own personal experiences--of having to rescue the systems of friends and acquaintances when their systems become infected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The only ones
I have even heard make the claim that some lack of security features in
Windows cause them problems, are ex-windows users who are now activists
for some other OS...For some it is easier to blame the OS than look
at their own contribution to the situation.

Luck;
Ken
First of all, you are condescendingly insinuating that I prefer to use Linux and recommend Linux as an option because I am somehow inept at securing and maintaining a windows partition. I can assure you that I am more than capable of running windows securely. My original point, however, was that I've spent a lot of time educating so that I no longer consider myself an average user. I do not commit the logical error of suggesting that my experience is or ought to be universal.

Second, you condescendingly insinuate that Linux users tend to be activists, in the perjorative sense of the term, who, in their wanton mendacity, unjustly smear the windows operating system by appealing to the boogyman. This is not true either. I use windows on one machine and but, in general, I prefer Linux for most daily tasks, especially on my low-wattage boxes.

Look at it this way, I have every right to recommend Linux as a viable alternative or supplement for those who have trouble with windows--and if I exercise that right it does not immediately warrant the inference that I am either stupid or a liar.

I can tell that you like to call things as you see them so I hope that you don't mind me doing the same. No hard feelings.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote