View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #36
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
There are no assumptions made in my post, I simply described my experence
with Windows. As to the skills and knowledge needed to operate a computer
running under Windows, it certainly has not been beyond the capabilities of
a vast number of users. Simple and free AntiVirus software is, and has been
available for some time now. Again, in all the years of my use, of Windows
operating systems, I have never encountered this "nightmare". The only ones
I have even heard make the claim that some lack of security features in
Windows cause them problems, are ex-windows users who are now activists
for some other OS. Many people have been convinced that there is such a
problem out there and jump to the conclusion that any performance hit must
be a virus. For the most part, you have to invite the infected data onto your
system for it to appear there. For some it is easier to blame the OS than look
at their own contribution to the situation.

Luck;
Ken
It all depends on what you use your machine for. None of my laptops have ever had the "nightmare." I use them for business and limited web browsing and they have always run some variant of Windows. For my HTPC on the other hand, I continually got hammered with malware. Eventually, I was removing that stupid malware that looks like Windows Security Center more than I was watching shows on Hulu. After trying several flavors of Linux and being disappointed with the Flash performance, that particular machine is now a Hackintosh. It's not perfect. In fact, it's sometime downright buggy. But it works.

I personally don't care about my contribution to the situation. This isn't the 90's anymore. I'm not interested in dinking around with a computer just for the fun of it. I buy computers in order to do some series of tasks. I just want my stuff to work. For me, Windows can manage that in most but not all situations. Where it can't, I found another solution. If your setup works for you then I'm happy for you. That doesn't mean Windows doesn't have some security issues that other OSes simply don't have (and vice versa). It just means that you've managed to avoid them (and for a long time at that).
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote