View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
out of context ? in lit source novel

I have a source whcih contains strange ? intermittently e.g.
" She waved a hand, dismissing my words. "Ech. Don't tell me about a bad day?you should have the kind of bad day I've had." Then she laughed. "Oh, wait?you did."

I cannot guess, from contexts, what character(s) these ? are replacing, sometimes they are where I'd expect to see a comma,

e.g.
" I tore my gaze from that macabre display and scanned the shelves full of bottles?rows and rows of them?that lined the small room."

but sometimes there is one at the start of a spoken phrase
"Mo ain't got the balls to squash a bug. Me and her got into it right and proper, and I almost had the skinny bitch until she shoved me backward. Then bam?" Caprice smacked her hands together, making me jump. "? out went the lights. Next thing I know,

& sometimes there's none at all for 2 - 3 pages.

I've tried conversions with thw transliterate unicode box ticked but makes no difference, neither does the smarten punctuation tick box.

could they be replacing some sort of font change instruction as they do seem to occur in pairs ?

apart from this strange puzzle the source seems to have a full character set, including italics, lots of correct punctuations, some correct usage of ? ....

I doubt there's a practical auto-fix - that would require having the original source used to make the .lit, because inside of the .lit source it's just ? characters within the text strings.

but can anyone offer an explanation of how these could have gotten into the .lit ?

Last edited by cybmole; 10-15-2010 at 08:33 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote