Thread: Copy editing
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Copy editing

Does anyone copy-edit ebooks, or are the files used in print editions just processed through an epub software translation program without any "supervision"?

A book I'm currently reading -- Ocean Fever: The Damian Foxall Story -- deals with ocean racing and italicizes the names of boats. This works fine in the print edition (I looked at it in a bookstore), where a phrase like "Green Dragon was surfing" is displayed correctly. But in my Kobo edition, it will display as "Green Dragonwas surfing". This can be annoying when boats names appear on almost every page.

Also some characters, such as a hyphen, will display as something like oA. Sorry I don't have a real example of that.

In paper books there is a process that ensures that what appears on the page is what the publisher (or author) wants to appear there. Is there no such process in place for ebooks?

I ask out of ignorance, not just to be argumentative, in the belief that some forum members are knowledgeable about such matters.

Tom K.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote