View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #46
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I'm surprised at your impression that the core of social reading is shared highlights and notes. My feeling is the opposite; that it's almost entirely out of sight and mind. I wonder if your impression is more acute among Kindle users than other readers.
I only said that it's the aspect that's touted by companies that offer what they call social reading. You'll note that those features are the one mentioned in the OP, so I'm not alone in perceiving this. Caleb quoted http://www.openbookmarks.org/social-reading/ on the previous page. Kobo's Reading Life sounds like Four Square for books. Kindle might have started the highlighting / notes thing, but they certainly aren't alone in defining this type of activity as "social reading". A MR user recently spammed links to another, I think it was called readmill or something like that.

My point was that some of us don't see social reading that way. We're not in disagreement on that - I don't think that these things are the core of what I think of as social reading, but it is what is often advertised as social reading.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote