Thread: PRS-T2 Sony PRS-T2 vs Kobo Glo
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Firstly let me say that I've always been a big Sony fan but couldn't get excited about the PRST2 as an 'upgrade' to the PRST1. Nor did I have any interest in rooting the PRST2 to act as a low-level android device. So I decided to try the Kobo Glo.

There are a couple of points you made where I think you are mistaken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghero View Post
My first issue with glo is merely a minor issue. Glo is not format-friendly with non-kobo epub books. When you read a non-kobo epub, the page number sometimes stack right on a character of the actual content (this character is usually at the end of a line.)
All you need to do to fix this is to uncheck the box in Settings - Reading Settings - Show page number in margins (on page 2). Then you will only get page numbers at the bottom of each page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghero View Post
Another thing is that for T2, you can manage your collection at PC by using calibre. But for glo, which is called shelves instead of collections, you cannot manage shelves in calibre, and have to do that on device, however, I do not consider this to be a major problem.
This is not correct. The calibre Kobo Touch driver (also used by Kobo Glo) can be configured to automatically manage Kobo Shelves in the same way as the PRST1/T2 driver automatically manages Sony Collections. You need to go to Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface - Kobo Touch - Customize and configure as you wish. I've attached a screencap to show an example. If you're not seeing this then maybe you need a more recent version of calibre.

Calibre's metadata plugboards also work well on the Kobo if you're used to using those on your Sony.

Regarding fonts, I cannot comment on your Chinese fonts experience as I only read in English. In my opinion font handling on the Kobos is one area which is clearly superior to Sony. Various custom firmwares (PRSPlus and Morkl's modified reader app) have done wonderful things for Sony models (excluding PRST2) for epub font customisation. But the Kobos allow you to easily use any font you like as a standard feature and no technical knowledge is required. The Kobo's ability to control font-weight for many of the built-in fonts is also a great standard feature. The fact you also have the ability to change line spacing, page margins and justification from the device is an improvement over any Sony to date. Plus a choice of 24 font-sizes...
[Added] In fact all the features Morkl's modified reader app brought to the PRST1 are standard features on the Kobo (custom fonts, extra font-sizes, clock visible whilst reading, control pages between full screen refresh).

I agree with you about the Glo light. I didn't think I really needed it but I find it invaluable in the murky UK daylight at this time of year as well as in the evenings, of course.

I also agree that Sony's PDF capabilities are much better than Kobo's. It's also my experience that Sony firmware is more robust than Kobo. I haven't had anything really bad happen to me but I have needed a paperclip more often than I ever needed one with a Sony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	98094  

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-22-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: added info
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote