View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Spoiler:
I think he (Thurman) saw no other option for his plan to succeed. The "nuclear waste containment facility" ruse wasn't going to hold up to scrutiny indefinitely—and those silos were never going to be voluntarily populated once that particular cat was out of the bag (if ever, for that matter).

Without the convention and the immediate, local threat, there would have been resistance—questions. And empty (at least partially) silos. They needed a "flood" to convince everyone to get on the "ark." Nothing else would have worked.

Besides... if a large contingent of the population were left outside the silos, they'd have destroyed the silos trying to get in once they figured out what was in store for them. It would have been too dangerous to Thurman's new "Order" to leave civilization intact outside of the "silos" for even a short period of time.

Just my two cents. The logic (however megalomaniacal and insidious) seemed consistent to me.
You nailed pretty much everything. All I can add is:

Spoiler:
There was another need that the bombs provided (which weren't necessarily dropped, mind you. They could have been ground based). In order for the medication to work, there needs to be a horrific trauma for them to act upon. To seal off memory of the former world, there had to be a cauterizing event that could allow new memories to form while the drugs worked on all that was old. Hence the name changes and everything designed to foster a new existence.

Without this, news of the old world and what took place would persist across generations, which would be tumultuous and cause dissension and uprisings. Donald thinks this to himself toward the end of the book, that the bombs were props and nothing more. The nanos were in the air for years prior to the convention. They were already in everyone's blood.

MEGA SPOILER: Donald may have feared that meeting Thurman in the nanochamber infected him with something. But maybe it *cleaned* him of something worse. And maybe everyone who survived at the convention had a similar meeting with someone, somewhere, before the convention.
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote