View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #434
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
People keep telling Kobo what they should do or must do, and they assume that it is lack of attention or poor decision-making by Kobo that they don't do it. What they may not realize is that the Kobo developers and product managers would probably agree with a lot of it, but that doesn't make it possible.

I know the frustration of managing a product team and having limited time and resources and whole lot of conflicting priorities. I would often agree that our product had issues that should be addressed, and sometimes I felt embarrassed that it wasn't better. But at the end of the month I would look at what we had accomplished, and if it was 50% of what we had hoped to do, I felt lucky. Many times the things I hoped to do just fell off the end of the table from lack of resources. Many times the developers came back to me and told me about unforeseen technical complications that made it much more difficult than planned to do the "simple" thing we wanted. But that never stopped customers from complaining!

The development resources are not open-ended. Decisions have to be made about where to put the effort. Customer satisfaction is important, but it's not the only factor. If customers with existing models can live with an issue, and the resources to fix the issue are in competition with getting out new firmware desperately needed for a new model that's launching, resources have to go where the money is - on the new model.

Last edited by FJames; 05-17-2013 at 02:44 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote