View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
all I can suggest is press peoples honesty / guilt buttons.

a preface page saying if you like this book please buy a copy + a similar appeal on the author's web site..

DRM is demonstrably ineffective anyway - although removal discussion is not permitted here there are thousands of de-drmed books on net, same as for music, movies, sofware.... if it's digitlal it is probably out there already.

the other route is the sigil / calibre route, we cant MAKE you pay so it's free if you don't want to, but donations to the cause are encouraged / accepted.

if digital IP is doomed you just have to sell physical accesories

( AKA you can steal the book but you still have to pay for the t-shirt / mug/ bumper sticker/autographed picture...)

PS I maybe need some mental re-programming, but 50 years of reading books for free, via public libraries, makes it hard to grasp that e-books should be paid for, especially as they are now also slowly making their way into libraries worldwide.
I googled this & it seems that in the UK, authors do get 6p per library book loan but in the good ole USA they get nothing ???

PS I confess to nowadays lurking a lot on Kindle top 100 free list at amazon. There's more than enough well written free stuff to feed my habit & I've sussed how to get those into epub for my sony reader

PPS my previous question about "pottermore" style watermaking was not "is it secure" but "how easy is it for an author to do"

Last edited by cybmole; 10-08-2012 at 01:28 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote