View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #62
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That does not seems true to me.
If you want to argue with well documented historical fact, feel free. I'd prefer you did it in your closet, rather than here, but hey, it's not my forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Even now heavily researched books like academic books are not selling with a profit but are payed for in other ways like people having academic positions.

And I would also think that people would write books about things they love avd these books would be like heavily researched books.

Or did you mean some other kind of books? Do you have any example of the kind of book that would not be written?
The average novel length work of fiction takes six months to a year to wite. Most fiction writers never do make a living at it, and most only write a couple of books before they give up. Once the manuscript is done, the publisher devotes about as many man-hours turning it in to a book as the author did writing the manuscript. That's why most self-published stuff sucks - the lack of editing. The overall quality of published fiction would plummet (and it's pretty bad now) without the possibility of making a profit from it.

You will likely dismiss the contributions of the publisher to the process. I will laugh at you if you do, and recomment you read only 99 cent self published books from now on.

I mean, really, if you don't value the creative work of others, why do you want it so much?
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote