View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #21
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post
Hi....first post!

First, thanks for Calibre...wonderful!

I upgraded today because of this thread. When I double-click on "I'm reading" in the last column under Collections, I assume that I am supposed to delete those two words (to get the book off the "I'm Reading" list in Kobo). That seems to work.
Yes, in manual mode you remove the Im_Reading tag and closing the field (moving to a new line send the infomration to the kobo (Removes it from the list)

Quote:
I also assume that when I do that, the book title disappears from that list immediately in Kobo (if Kobo is connected).....there's no Sync button in Calibre. Ok, so far.
Yes as above, in manual mode it will remove the item (or add it to the reading list) after you finish editing the row

Quote:
I then tried to "Edit Metadata" for some of the books that I had moved from Calibre to Kobo (title corrections, etc.). That didn't seem to make any difference when I disconnected Kobo and looked for the changes (not there).
If I understand you correctly, you modified the metadata in the Library view? I may be wrong but if you do not resend those books to the device it will not update the kobo (you may even need to delete the record from the kobo first depending on what metadata you edited. If you change metadat management to Automatic, the collections on the device (reading list) will be build using any books tagged with Im_Reading that is also on the kobo.

Quote:
I then tried to make the changes under "Device" in Calibre, i.e. double clicking on items in various columns and typing changes. Those didn't show up either (in Kobo).
No, as in the details of the first post, while you can make changes to those fields currently it does not change the data on the kobo (but Calibre shows the changes).

Quote:
In fact, after restarting Kobo, I now found that all of the 100 books that came with Kobo are missing (no longer listed under "Books" on Kobo (though they are all there under "Device" in Calibre). And, worse, when moving around the Menu, Kobo now crashes and restarts. After that, only the remaining "I'm Reading" books are listed (and are accessible).
None of the things you mentioned should cause the loss of data or the crashes. I have been testing and regularly using the function and I am yet to see those sorts of issues.

You have a couple of options:

1) I can help troubleshoot (have you used a sqlite query tool?)
2) Restore your database as per the sticky forum entry

If you are able to send me your database I could look at it to see how the issue occurred (I would see the books you are reading...).

Quote:
I mention all these things since I don't know what I did wrong or which action got me into trouble. If anyone has any advice, please let me know. Thanks.
As a final note, you could try removing the metadata.calibre file but since your kobo is acting strangely it points more to the database.

I will look your sequence of events again...

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote