View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
UK Sony Warranty is useless!

Hi all,

Has anyone had any dealings with sending back their reader to Sony for repair? Here's my story over the last 2 weeks:

Since I got the reader in December, it's had a black dot in the lower left of the screen - I phoned Waterstones and asked if it was grounds for replacement and they said it'd have to go back to Sony. I let it be for a month or so as I didn't want to be without it for weeks while Sony repaired it.

After about a month, the dot turned into a line - which very quickly turned into a complete blur on the screen with funny shapes. At this point none of the screen worked, when the power button was pressed I could see it was trying to do something as it flickered, but nothing was happening.

I sent the reader back to Sony Central Service, and after a week they advised me that the lower layer of the eInk display was "physically damaged" and they want £216.82 to fix it! I can get a new reader for £219!!!

There are no marks on the reader, it's been in its case and treated like a newborn baby since the day I got it! It's NEVER been dropped or nudged off a table, I am completely OCD with my electronics and they remain in pristine condition.

Sony say unless I can 100% prove that it's never been nudged or dropped then I'll be charged - I stated that was impossible unless I'd videotaped it 24 hours a day since Christmas day, but it's like speaking to a brick wall with them.

I have been bounced between Sony's complaints team and Central Service. They claim the warranty covers mechanical failure but not damage, i'm arguing that it's clearly a defective unit that's suffered mechanical failure, but they won't have it! It's so frustrating when you're trying to argue your case and all you get is "I understand where you're coming from", followed by "BUT, it's not covered".

Does anyone know of anything I can do at this point? I can't afford a new reader, or to fit the bill of repairing it - and I shouldn't have to pay a penny! They want £27.50 even to send it back to me unrepaired!
Sorry for the long post but as a community of readers I hope it'll get read!
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote