View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Reason 1: As You May Have Heard, Steve Jobs Passed Away
Until Apple gives us a reason to think otherwise, it could be equally true that Steve Jobs held back some innovative products whilst he was in control.

Quote:
Reason 2: Apple Is No Longer Innovating
They're milking their current product line with incremental improvements, but I don't think they'll stop innovating. It just takes time and not every innovation will end up on general sale or be large enough for people to point at and say wow. Unless you're into video editing software you won't consider the latest final cut release as innovative (the major release, not the patches/updates that fixed the flood of complaints people had).

Innovation is in the eye of the beholder and goes beyond phones/tablets.

That said, as far as shares are concerned, it's a question of which segment of apple generates the highest revenue, if they stop innovating in that segment and growth drops, then I agree shares will likely take a hit.

People just (incorrectly imo) raised their expectations as to the rate innovation should occur. Whether consumers will like their innovations is a totally different matter.

Quote:
Reason 3: Apple Now Has Real Smartphone Competition
I really like the iPhone, but totally agree with this point. Whether WP8 is included in that I don't know, I didn't like WP7 during the few months I had a lumia 800, in fact I gave it away and went back to my 3gs, but some of the android based phones are more and more appealing.

The competition still has a lot of ground to make up though. Especially in the app store market, despite other competitors having greater user bases, iOS is still ahead in terms of developer revenue, coupled with the ease of developing for iOS that's keeping it a very attractive platform for developers.

Quote:
Reason 4: Trees Don't Grow All The Way To The Sky
That's what will likely start a stock fall, Apple will make even more money than previous years but not with the same increase in growth and the bailing may begin.

5/6/7/8 no real comment on.

Quote:
Reason 9: The Market Was Going Up While Apple Was Going Down
Isn't two days of last week a poor data sample? How many times in the last year or two has the market gone up and apple stock gone up or down?

My reason for not buying apple stock is that I can't see a sufficient continued growth that would provide a sizeable return unless you invested heavily and at the current share price that would mean a significant investment and associated risk. For long term investments I would assume there's a number of more attractive companies to spread your portfolio across.

Quote:
Reason 10: Conspiracy Theory Time
I'm sure plenty of people try to manipulate the market both legally and illegally. But there's plenty of other reasons to buy or not buy apple stock to make this a none issue. Then again, i love conspiracy theories even though I disagree with most of them, so I'm glad it's mentioned

Last edited by JoeD; 01-30-2013 at 11:29 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote