Thread: Kindle or EPUB?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowthenmobile View Post
So, if you reckon that I cannot convert Kindle to Nook, then if Amazon were to stop providing support for Kindle and stop selling Kindle, I could end up losing my entire ebook collection?
If Amazon went out of business, or stopped selling ebooks, yes. THIS is why you need to liberate the books. Once the drm is cracked, they are yours forever. Useable on any device.

Are modern EPUB books all DRM protected? Some independent publisher sell books without drm. I believe all established authors thru major publishing houses sell their books with drm. The books you get from the library, unless public domain, are drm'd.

What does the DRM do? Does it tie an EPUB to a particular brand of eReader? If I bought it for a Nook, could I then transfer it to a Sony? I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer this.

Thanks

If you 'buy' an ebook....you are in reality only leasing it, and can use it only on the device you bought it for.

However, if you buy it and crack the drm, you truly own it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote