View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #4
anvarit
anvarit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (dxg)
Update: I've got an answer for Amazon.

Quote initial question:
Last I've received my ordered Kindle DXG. And I have a issue with the wireless connectivity.
A colleague of mine also has a Kindle DXG and he can't use the browser due to area restrictions. He can't use any online services except for the Amazon Store.

On my Kindle DXG I can surf without any problem. So I've read the user agreements and there I can find that the wireless connectivity isn't free, that this is only free for the Amazon shop. This wasn't stated on the Kindle DXG order pages nor in the manual included in the package.

Qoute amazon website:
General. Amazon provides wireless connectivity free of charge to you for certain content shopping and downloading services on your Device. You may be charged a fee for wireless connectivity for your use of other wireless services on your Device, such as Web browsing and downloading of personal files, should you elect to use those services. We will maintain a list of current fees for such services in the Kindle Store. Amazon reserves the right to discontinue wireless connectivity at any time or to otherwise change the terms for wireless connectivity at any time, including, but not limited to (a) limiting the number and size of data files that may be transferred using wireless connectivity and (b) changing the amount and terms applicable for wireless connectivity charges.

So I have 2 questions:
- Can I use my wireless connectivity without costs?
- In case there are costs, I would to see a price list for this and I would wish on an option to disable this without disabling my wireless connectivity to the Amazon Shop!

ATTENTION: I'm talking about the Kindle DXG, this Kindle doesn't have WiFi connection. So I am talking about the GPRS or 3G wireless connnection.

Could you please provide feedback as soon as possible. I don't want to receive a huge bill for roaming costs or etc.

Answer from Amazon on the initial question:
Hello,

Your wireless Whispernet connection is free and included with your Kindle purchase. There's no wireless set-up, no confusing service plans and no monthly wireless bills.

Shopping and downloading from the Kindle Store is free. So is accessing your Archived Items on Amazon.com and Kindle's Basic Web that allows you to browse and search on the Internet.

Some extra services, such as conversion and wireless delivery of personal documents, carry a charge of $0.15 per megabyte of content you submit for conversion. To avoid a fee, or if you're not in wireless range, you can send an e-mail to "name"@free.kindle.com and download the files via USB in a Kindle compatible format to the devices.

Internet access using the Web Browser through Whispernet is not available in most countries outside the United States when using your Kindle's 3G connection, however most customers can access Wikipedia. These restrictions do not apply when accessing the Web Browser over a Wi-Fi connection.

And to be sure, I've send the following email as reply:
Thank you for your swift reply.

To confirm:
- Only documents send to username@kindle.com will be charged and delivered to your device
- data transferred when using the basic web browser is free and included with the purchase of a Kindle DXG

When I receive an answer, I'll post it here. So for the moment fingers crossed
anvarit is offline   Reply With Quote