View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I know Amazon lets you buy online storage space for personal media files but I'm not sure if the online Kindle reader can access that part of your account.
Me, I'm definitely in the offline camp, so I've never tried it.
Unless you're talking about a different service, each amazon account includes 5GB of personal document space. At the risk of saying something you already know, I'll do so anyway in case the OP isn't aware

You email books to your kindle email address and in addition to been delivered to the device they'll be archived online in that space too (unless you disable that option).

At a later date you can then later download them from amazon to any device running the kindle app such as on the iPad/iPhone via the Docs/Cloud tab. They'll also appear in the "archive" section on eInk kindles along with any other amazon purchased book and can be downloaded/read just like any amazon bought book (although some additional services may not be supported such as popular highlights etc.)

Aside from the limited storage space (although 5GB will store a lot of books) it seems to almost meet the OPs goals. You can read amazon bought books via a webbrowser if you want too, https://read.amazon.co.uk however this doesn't allow reading of personal documents, for that you need the kindle app or a kindle itself.

I'm in the offline camp too though. Whilst I do leave my books on amazon and use their personal archive feature, I only use it for books I have already downloaded and safely stored in calibre. Amazon is then a convenience

Last edited by JoeD; 11-25-2012 at 05:55 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote