View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
- Make the programs by default display in full-screen (as in the DR1000)
- Make the icon toolbar hidden by default when in a viewer, and only pop when up/down arrows are pressed
- Put the toolbar at le left side (covering all the height of the iliad), to be able to show more icons.
To me, full screen mode is a window manager issue (like virtual desktops). So I don't think it should be associated with application keys (up/down arrows). I suggest reserving one of the four bottom keys (e.g. notes) for "toggle full screen". So long as apps support full screen mode and there is a dedicated key, the default is moot and might depend on the app.

I don't object to long presses, so long as their functions are relatively painless to errors (which means that the short press functions are painless, since long presses interpreted as short presses is the usual error mode). If the four bottom keys can have a long press version, then the full screen key could be overloaded with another window manager function using a long press. I like the virtual desktop idea, but in that case overloading the keys might be error prone (i.e. don't have long presses for news,books,docs).

Another possible use for a system key (e.g. notes) is as a meta-key - hold it down and all the other key presses have a new meaning (this presumably would exclude a long press option for this key). I would love to have left and right arrow keys for example (the long presses on the up and down arrows should have been this in the first place).

Finally, I agree that more icons are needed but the best place for the icons is on the bottom. The screen isn't wide enough to have them on the side. I don't see why more icons can't fit on the bottom, now that we can change the matchbox setup.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote