View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #142
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
[QUOTE=mbp;379552]I was playing around with this at work this afternoon. I'm in Europe so I used the voucher method to buy a book and download it onto my iphone. My iphone is jailbroken so I simply scp'd it off onto my computer. The ebook was DRMed and had a .prc extension. I tried the kindlepid.py script with the serial number for my iphone (as shown on the amazon devices page). It produced what looked like a reasonable PID but it didn't work with mobidedrm.py. I played around with it a bit and finally got it to generate the correct PID and de-drm'ed my book.
The change was trivial. Is it ok to post a modified kindlepid.py script here? I believe the change was something like:

post content modified on Amazon's request

This worked - I was able to successfully load Ur, which I purchased from the Amazon Kindle store, on my Sony PRS-505!

My iPhone isn't jailbroken, so I used the iPhone Backup Extractor (Google is your friend) and extracted the Kindle app from my latest iPhone backup. Within the folder for the app are the books (com.amazon.Lassen/Documents/eBooks), and I figured out which one was Ur by loading them into Calibre, which gave me the titles. I made the change quoted above to the kindlepid.py script, and was able to get my PID by using the serial number for my iPhone in the "Manage my Kindle" section on Amazon. Running the file through mobidedrm.py script produced a file I could load in Calibre and convert to LRF, which I then loaded to my PRS-505. Cover image transferred just fine, and from my cursory perusal of the book, everything looked correct.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 03-12-2009 at 07:05 AM.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote