View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I'm not particularly interested in how the creator of the book wanted it to be laid out, I'm interested in how I want it to be laid out. Stanza allows me to override the formatting in the file and make my own choices, as a reader that is a good thing.
This. Screw your layout. I want my layout. My fonts, my line spacing. If I want newlines between paragraphs and indentation, Stanza lets me do it even though the author didn't want it that way. I can read with a sans serif font even though the author thought the book would be best presented in comic sans. I can strip off the 2em left and right margins that cause the book to be only three words across on an iPhone because the author thought that made sense on an iPad. I can force it into full justification even though the author thought a ragged right edge was a good idea.

Stanza has its problems. The hyphenation can be weird sometimes, and it does have occasional layout issues. However when it comes to reading books how I want to read them, nothing beats it (on iOS, anyway). That's what ebook publishers and authors just don't seem to get. I don't want to have multiple ereader applications all with different look&feel, settings, etc (iBooks, Kindle, Nook, Kobo, etc). I want a single reader that does it all, and with Stanza as the reader, Calibre as the server, Sigil for occasional book cleanup, and the various de-drm tools I get what I want. That's why I use Stanza.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote