View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by q345 View Post
The ticket has been closed with explanation that this is not a recommended procedure, so it will not be exposed in Preferences menu.

May be there is an additional headache to support or there are some side effects to it, who knows.
I have personally been running in this mode for many months and have not encountered any downsides. My suspicion is that for users who do not know much about how their computers run they could get into all sorts of trouble trying to use this facility with their databases and book store getting out of sync. That is probably why there is reluctance to expose the options in the GUI and make it easy for naive users to find them.

I would like to see the full list of environment variables and command line options used by calibre in this area added to the documentation for future reference.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote