View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Availability of ebooks?

I asked this question in my previous thread, but I thought it was important enough to start a new thread just for this question.

I'm considering buying an ereader, but I'm wondering if most of the books I want will be available. First, some background. I’m a college student and I read a lot in my free time. I read almost zero fiction, so I’m not sure Kindle’s store would be a big advantage for me. When I'm not reading the required texts for my college classes, I primarily read about philosophy and theology. Most of the texts I'm interested in are usually academic. For example, this summer I was hoping to buy The Oxford Handbook of Contemporary Philosophy, some Blackwell Companions, some books on logic, and some books on philosophy of religion (as an example, Warrant: The Current Debate by Alvin Plantinga). So, do you think I will be able to get most of the stuff I want to read in ebook format? Glancing at amazon, for example, The Oxford Handbook is not available in Kindle format (or PDF from what I can tell). There's the option of torrent sites, but I'm not sure how I feel about that ethically, and I'm not sure if torrent sites would offer what I'm looking for either.

So, what do you think? Do you think I would be able to get most of the books I want, or are ereaders more useful for popular fiction? What other sites are there? What do you know about torrenting books?
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote