View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
I understand what you are trying to do, but I think you overestimate the size of the font and underestimate how ugly it will look if fonts happen to not match (e.g. default font is made user-selectable). The ugliness will come not where you'd expect, BTW: the fact that latin and cyrillic text is in different fonts won't look bad (in fact, it will be even more readable - most professionals use a different font or at least italic for foreign-language snippets). However letters from one font and digits and punctuation from another will be terrible.
Either I don't quite understand or you don't. I'm not after a different font only for Cyrillic characters (which could indeed look bad when mixed with numbers or punctuation, which would be taken from the Latin font). I was thinking of using a different font for :lang(ru) elements, where Cyrillic is needed and dominant, but not exclusive. But if the font were user-selectable, I'd leave it to the user, and he would choose a font with both Cyrillic and Latin.

Quote:
I assume you have FB2 for your text. Try converting it using http://sorotokin.com/fb2epub.html and look at the font sizes (that converter subsets the font).
No, I don't have a FB2, I create the ePUB from scratch (it's here). Do you assume I have a FB2 because it's a popular format in Russia? The fact is I can't read Russian, I just copied the Russian text from a web page.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote