View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #60
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Maybe instead of a flat "no self-pubs", the bar needs to be that you have read and enjoyed any that you post (or are at least willing to vouch for some level of quality). I agree that there's a lot of chaff in the self-pubbed books, but I also have found a selection of self-pubbed authors that I quite enjoy.
I'll second that suggestion, especially as there are some tradpub writers who've started self-publishing at least some of their work. I can think of a few cases where a series was being traditionally published, then the publisher dropped it, and the author self-published the rest.

Seanan McGuire is a useful example; she's got a two-book* tradpub UF series for which she's published three tie-in stories in tradpub anthologies...along with several more tie-in stories that she just self-publishes on her website in assorted ebook formats. IIRC, three of those self-pub stories were up for Hugos in 2013. To further complicate things, a small press (associated with a convention) has collected and published two volumes of stories that she originally self-published in a similar way.

* Soon to be more; book three of at least four comes out in a couple of months.