View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I'm trying to wrap my mind around this - what exactly was purchased? The website? I have my own website and it costs me $11.50/year. Not the business model, because they're planning to change it. The name? Lot of good that will do them with the changed business model.

Lots of servers, I guess, but you can buy those pretty cheaply these days.

I don't get it at all.
Basically the name. It's almost the exact same situation that happened to Napster.

By the time they jump through all the hoops to "legitimize" the site, they'll have gotten rid of everything that people used them for in the first place (free exchange of data). Nobody will go to a commercial TPB if it no longer offers what they wanted it for in the first place. In addition to stronger policing of the content, they'll also most likely turn it into a pay site (which Napster also did) and watch helplessly as most of the users switch to another tracker.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote