View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #45
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I have no problem with Agency pricing.

Agency pricing has led to a greater variety of places to buy e-books, imho. Now, it does suppress competition on price, but at least it's allowed places like Kobo to exist. While I'm aware that Amazon never treated all e-books as loss leaders, it's a well known fact that their profit margins are razor thin and that very few companies can survive at that level.

I don't want to live in a world where Amazon is the only place I can get e-books from major publishers. (Don't get me wrong, I'm sure places like Baen & Smashwords would survive, but I read more then the authors they sell.) I'm already annoyed with Amazon as they have sole e-book rights to Ian Fleming's catalogue.

Kobo has their faults, but they're more open in the e-book realm then Amazon, and they don't treat Canada as a secondary market.

Arrgh. Kinda rambling there. Anyways, I don't regard Agency as intrinsically evil, as long as the publishers treat the price points in a fair fashion. Most of the publishers I consume from set their e-book prices at slightly lower then the p-books, which makes sense to me. As I would've happily paid the p-book price back before I switched, I have no issues with paying a little less and getting a format I enjoy more.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote