View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
how to revert to 4.0.1 firmware?

I don't like the 4.1.0 firmware. I want to go back. I saw on a thread some boast that following the debricking thread would be simple to follow to accomplish such a goal (another poster wanted to do the same thing).

I find it far from simple. I am using 64 bit Windows 7, and for my goal and my platform and my kindle I would need to synthesize instructions from multiple sources. I find that very difficult because of the poor way that the instructions have been written. Now you are all amazingly dedicated and smart people for figuring out all of these hacks and sharing them freely and with great effort to the community... so take this as friendly, constructive criticism because I truly think that you guys are awesome.

For the multiple times that the reader is warned to think or to use their brain in following the instructions I find such commands difficult to follow. The reason is that the software and commands to be used are given without explanation of what they do, why you are doing it and what is specific to the platform or device.

There are multiple instructions for accomplishing different hacks with different OSs, different kindles, but at the end it is very hard to figure out the reasoning behind the instructions. For instance what is fast boot? when do you use it? why do you use it? Ditto for select boot. Are the commands for unix based shells or dos? Are any parts of the instruction specific to the file structure of a specific kindle? etc etc etc

What steps do I use from what guides to accomplish my goals and why?

I want specific help for my problem, but I also want you devs to consider a large rewrite of your debricking and hacking guides. Something along the lines of

"If you are using Windows you must first install blah because of blah follow these links and come back. Else if you are using a Mac... else if you are using linux/bsd... if you use a Kindle 3 you need these tools because of blah, follow these links then come back, else if you have a kindle 4... else if you have a kindle touch... if you need to debrick then... else if skip to this section..."

Just some kind of broad logical flow that incorporates the large collection of knowledge that I don't know or understand but you do with ease. For me I can't even figure out what is specific to 32 bit xp and what applies to all windows, and what programs I need to actually use since I'm not starting with a bricked kindle.

Please don't defend the how to guides. If you're fine with them, they're yours. I just want help with my specific problem and you to consider what I've said as input. Please help me, and thank you for all of the effort you've put into master manipulation of kindles.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote