View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #56
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
It seems to me that if a book has been allowed to go out of print, it amounts to an abandonment the right to make a profit. Now, there could be some quibbling about this point, as when the author still wants to sell the book but can't find anyone who will publish it. But on the whole, I think it is reasonable to suppose that a book goes out of print because there's no longer any profit to be made.
While I would generally agree, Disney is well-known example to the contrary. Who's to say something was taken off the market due to abandonment, or whether it was taken off the market to generate more sales later if/when it becomes available again?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote