View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #217
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I have about 14,000 books in my library and by using tags, it makes it easier to find what I am looking for quickly.

Here's a sample of my tags:

- Bibles (I have few in electronic form)
- Anthologies
- Business
- Chick Lit
- Cookbooks
- Inspirational
- Humorous
- Self-Help
- Fantasy
- Science Fiction
- Suspense & Thrillers
- Mystery
- Romance (this is the only category I break out)
- Romance - Contemporary
- Romance - Adult (Erotica)
- Romance - Historical

You get the idea. Like booklover6, I also created a custom column called On Device so once I put the books on my Kindle, I check this column off. This prevents me from always having to plug the Kindle in to know what is on the device. Other custom columns include Date Read and once I input the date I completed the book, it changes the entire line to the color RED so visually I can see all the books I have completed.

The last custom column I created is called Author-Series. This one is mostly used so that when I use Calibre to make my Collections, it pulls from this column only. My Collections then appear with Series Name - Author Name (# of books) in the Collection. The metadata plugboard handles the rest.

Home Screen shows:

Raines of Wind Canyon - Martin, Kit (5). Inside the Collection, all the books are listed from 1-5 which is great - no more looking up what is the next book.

I can relate to those struggling with a large library and the time it takes to do a search. One trick I learned in the Calibre forum is to change your search preferences and narrow down the criteria that Calibre searches on. For me, when I search, I am either searching on author or title - that's it. It has dramatically increased the search speed in Calibre, because it is using less variables to search on, and with 14K books, it makes a big difference.

Like Blue2u, I keep a mobi and epub version of all books that are in my Calibre library so I don't have the need for an ADE library but I like the idea.

The last reason for one library is that I would get to confused with multiple libraries and I don't have the time to maintain more than one. Just some helpful hints.

Last edited by chilady1; 01-24-2013 at 11:04 PM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote