View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Any hypersensitive person can reduce any subject to elitism vs. populism, but how interesting is that ultimately? You can fisk every statement for signs of snobbery in a state of perpetual suspicion or you can rise above intellectual and anti-intellectual snobbery and try, as I'm trying, to look at what's in front of us. If you or I prove mistaken, sobeit. But let's have fun guessing together regardless.
Fine. I'm guessing that I'd like dedicated ereaders to survive for quite a few more years. No snobbery, no elitism, just honest-to-god straight-up preference.

But for the sake of conversation; yes... I believe dedicated ereaders will survive for quite a while yet. Because I don't think eInk (or similar low-power consumption screen technologies) are suddenly going to be completely abandoned in favor of the same old back-lit LCD screens used in tablets and cell-phones. And since the new screen technologies are not ready (feasible or what have you) for devices that need fast refresh rates for video and other applications--not to mention the lighting issues--I don't think I need worry about the dedicated ereader's obsolescense just yet.

So yes... while I think that eventually a screen technology will come along that will bridge the divide between Game/Apps and plain-old book reading requirements, I don't think I'll be watching a hi-def youtube video on an iPad-like device in full sunlight anytime soon.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote