Thread: MobileRead July 2013 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #52
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll respond as more length later, but for now I'd like to quote Niall
Ferguson on The Sleepwalkers.

I haven't read this yet, but I have a hard time believing that a prize-winning professor of history at Cambridge has managed to write a highly praised book that somehow manages to ignore or obfuscate the facts. I understand you disagree with his interpretation of them; just the same, I have to impute some validity to his theories. And in passing, I've read literally hundreds of books about the First World War.

I do think some revisionist theories are nuts: that Haig was a master strategist, for example. But I'm not prepared to throw out what Clark has to say. It would be great if this book were picked, so we could all have at it.

Niall Ferguson? The homo atlanticus redux himself? The West and the Rest
If you have time, check this out
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n21/pankaj-...watch-this-man
I am sure there are better reviewers than him...
Forgot - should you by any chance have Ferguson's West and the Rest, check out how many times he quotes the very Clark

Last edited by jmilica; 06-25-2013 at 06:07 PM.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote