View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Thanks John (hope I got your name right!), and in fairness perhaps I should have made my points in the nomination thread - and as Bookworm says, I also like the idea and the spirit of a book club that induces me to consider books that I wouldn't otherwise read - I would have never read Bleak House had it not been for the Club, I suffered through it, and in the end I was quite pleased I had done it. But above all reading should be about enjoyment, and call me biased, but my bet is I will really dislike it (and I am not just going by a whim, as I did not like the prose from what I could gather from "looking inside" on amazon and what I had read about "Seabiscuit" in a source I trust highly). I promise you that if it had been a freebie, I would have definitely tried it, but at this stage I cannot find it in me to fork out £11 for it (yes, I am a cheapo).

I will wait with interest for the discussion thread, though!
Before you give it a miss (I do know UKisms), take a look at the GoodReads link I posted earlier in the thread. You'll find many many people really enjoyed it. It has an almost 5-star rating from a combined total or over 10,000 people.

And the other this is that there are book(s) by an author that some will enjoy and book(s) by the same author that are not enjoyable. The subject matter is completely different then Seabiscuit. Not having read Seabiscuit, I cannot speak of the prose. But I would expect it to be different.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote