View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004, 03:02 PM   #8
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Anyone have any comments on this intro so far? Has anyone used it successfully. I think Alex followed along here and got his working...

Just a couple of points that I have learned along the way. My work computer worked following only the steps outlined before. However, my home computer gave me a little more trouble. There were three issues and they may help with install problems.

• Multiple profiles - My home machine has my wife's Palm profile too. When Sitescooper used the default Palm install app, it would put up a window asking which profile I wanted to install under. I wanted this operation to be completely autonomous, so this wouldn't do. I found that if you edit the sitescooper.cf file (your site settings) you can get around this. There is an early line that says:
# PilotInstallDir: $HOME/pilot/install
Remove the "#" in front and replace the location with something like the following (note that this line shows where the file is located on my drive; yours may be different):
PilotInstallDir: C:\Program Files\Palm\Ignatz\iSiloI
The "iSiloI" subdirectory inside your Palm install is where iSilo puts files to be installed. It appears to me that Hotsync checks here automatically to see if there is anything to install.
  • Command window disappears after running .bat file - If you run Sitescooper off a .bat file, you may have noticed that as soon as the command, the window disappears. If you are trying to catch errors, this is frustrating. Here's the solution. On the line following the "perl sitescooper.pl..." simply add the command, "pause". This will make the window stay open until you press a key.
  • Sitescooper can't find iSiloXC.exe - For some reason on my home machine, Sitescooper could not find iSiloXC.exe, though it was in the top level of the Sitescooper folder. Simple solution to this is to put a copy of iSiloXC.exe in the "C:\Windows\System32" folder. This is where most (all?) command-line executables reside.
As I say, I would love to hear feedback or problems to improve this tutorial!