View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #43
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtro View Post
Any "open" e-book readers without forced account system or similar? I just want to be able to buy the reader, unbox it and sideload books without the need to register an account or use the manufacturers proprietary software.
I would recommend the black basic Kindle USD 69 or Paperwhite USD 119. You take it out of the box, turn it on, and start putting content on it. It is open in that you do not have to register it. If you register it, it takes you about a minute and you do not need to give out anything but your email address, unlike with some other readers.

Apparently, people want to argue about what you meant with open, so you may want to explain some more. It reads many formats, but it does not read ePub. I personally could care less, but it may be important to you.

It also depends on where you live. What kind of ebook formats are supported by your public library, if you'd like to borrow them on your reader? In the US, you can use Kindle and ePub readers for public library ebooks, in Germany only ePub readers, for instance. Also, in some countries, Amazon has the best selection of ebooks - in some countries it does not sell any at all or the best selection is ePub - where do you live?

I agree with Harry in that Sony, right now, does not have a device with a higher resolution screen, which simply puts it in last year's reader category, like it or not. The T2 is not lit, has a lower rez screen, but costs around the same as a high-end Kindle Paperwhite. They may come up with a better device this year, but to invest in what I personally would call outdated technology for the price of cutting edge tech that is available from Amazon and Kobo is not something I would advise a friend to do.

Also check out this eader comparison, or PC Mag's reader info, or this comparison.

Last edited by xendula; 01-10-2013 at 01:22 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote