View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #19
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Rather b & w ?

Well, yes, providing it doesn't pack up.

Or blind you with it's effulgence.

Some people may buy ereaders because they're trendy. But that is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is this: on an objective level, does this piece of technology solve a problem? Ereaders definitely do. They solve many problems. I got one because it solves a problem that exists between reading how I want to, and my lifestyle.

The "task" may be more than simply "reading" in the abstract. It may be accommodating how much you read, how fast, and over a given period of time. This may require several books. Or just one ereader. Thus, the ereader solves problems by requiring fewer parts, less space, less weight, etc. Or, it may be "reading with very bad eyes," in which case an ereader with adjustable font size is the clear winner over a paper book, and again, it solves a problem.

There is no technological solution that is ever perfect. Its predesessor always has some "pros" to its name - usually having to do with stability and familiarity. New technologies will always be flawed. But the main question is, "does it solve a problem?" In the case of a lighted layer, yes, it does.

I'd much rather have an embedded layer in my ereader that can light the screen than an external doohickey. It's less stuff to deal with. That is, provided that I can turn it off at will and that it doesn't negatively impact the daytime reading experience.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 11-05-2011 at 06:28 PM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote