View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #239
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Yeah I think some people can be hard to please. All I ask is that the ebooks display. I've never thought "I wish I could change the line-spacing" or anything like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami
Basically, I don't need my reader to be a black and white tablet.

Maybe I'm easily satisfied, but the only things an ereader needs to have to satisfy me are:

- A decent home screen
- Font, margin, and spacing options
- Some nice, handy features such as time to read, progress in percentage...
- Other things that are nice to have for reading text-only novels.
Folders and line spacing are only two of the possible benefits of jailbreaking and custom FW -- even for an e-reader that will never "be used as a tablet."

Care to display a custom text message with your name and phone number on the standby screen along with a custom image? Feel inclined to use a different kind of font than the included ones? Lamenting the absence of a font size between two of the gradations you're given stock? Fancy a home screen that can display only the books you've read or uploaded last? Hunger to rearrange books on your shelf according to twenty different criteria? Crave using your own dictionaries and disincluded languages? Motivated to change the way your reader shows read and unread books or the order in which it lists them? Do you daydream listlessly about disabling ads on a reader that wasn't marketed as including them? Do you grin lasciviously at the idea of changing text from ragged to justified and back? Will you bang your forehead against the nearest wall rhythmically to light meringue until your e-reader offers you more precise margin options?

These are all desires that might be addressed with user-created options.

Why limit yourself to thinking in boolean terms? People's reasons for rooting or using CFW are not reducible to buying an e-ink reader and "wanting it to be a tablet."

Here's the other boolean choice that doesn't need to be made:

Seeing this thread either in terms of advocating the Aura or berating it. Someone who makes a point about the virtues of custom firmware and rooting is not necessarily belittling the device you're coveting. Pointing out a potential drawback isn't discouragement. It can help to make buying decisions more precise.

Anyone who's ever jailbroken a Kindle, rooted a Nook or used PRS+ on a Sony Reader knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-19-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote