View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
flanker27
flanker27 began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
iRiver Story HD firmware issue?

Hi everyone,

I used to buy ebooks from BooksOnBoard.com but they are not trading any more, so I bought an ebook from ebooks.com recently. However, I can't open it - I have DRM issues: error message says:

"E_ADEPT_CORE_USER_NOT_ACTIVATED
A different Adobe ID has been authorized for use on this device."

I also can no longer open the ebooks I bought from the previous site, nor can I open ebooks from my local library. I was using an old P4 machine running Windows XP before, and now have a new computer running Windows 7, but don't think that is an issue(?)... *unless* running Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 now, instead of 1.5 (approx) makes any difference?

I've had wonderful help from the good folks at ebooks.com and I can't ask any more of them, when the problem surely resides on my Story HD. I connect to my PC using USB3 port - I do not have Wi-fi. I've askedHi everyone,

I used to buy ebooks from BooksOnBoard.com but they are not trading any more, so I bought an ebook from ebooks.com recently. However, I can't open it - I have DRM issues: error message says:

"E_ADEPT_CORE_USER_NOT_ACTIVATED
A different Adobe ID has been authorized for use on this device."

I also can no longer open the ebooks I bought from the previous site, nor can I open ebooks from my local library. I was using an old P4 machine running Windows XP before, and now have a new computer running Windows 7, but don't think that is an issue(?)... *unless* running Ado iRiver Support for help, but the email address is in Korea and the lady there has somewhat difficult English, and this coupled with my incomplete understanding of these DRM issues makes it hard for me to know what to do.

I *think* she's telling me to go back to using "Basic" 1.28 version firmware instead of the 1.33 version I have.

I thought I DID have 1.28 but a friend must have upgraded it from my previous version to 1.33 instead of just to 1.28 I'd saved to Flash drive. He said he'd do it, because you apparently can "brick" a device, if you stuff up a firmware update. But on the iRiver site, at least for me, I can't download 1.28 (or 1.27) anyway; I get error messages which terminate the download partway through.

Even when I can (somehow) get hold of 1.28, I don't understand the instructions on the iRiver site about how to use the .hex file which is spawned from the downloaded .zip file. It says:

1. Connect Story HD with your PC via USB cable
2. Push hex file in Cover story folder.
3. Cut the connection between PC and Story HD by removing USB cable form PC.
4. Firmware update will be proceeded on losing the connection between of them.

Obviously the "Cover story" is an error in (2): *what* folder in the iRiver Story HD should I put the .hex file in before pulling out the USB connection, please? Or is this firmware maybe not the (only) issue?

The kind folks at iRiver's former Australian agent, CR Kennedy, today told me to try reformatting the Story HD (or at least removing the Digital Editions folder on it) to see if that helps - and also do a "hard" factory reset on the Story HD, but none of these steps worked. Anything not DRM-protected, eg a Word or .pdf file, works *fine*, but nothing with DRM protection will open.

Finally - all ebooks open fine on my PC in Adobe Digital Editions, and if I open them on my Story HD while it is connected to the PC as a Removable Disk, they ALSO work fine on Digital Editions. But they will not open when the reader is disconnected from the PC.

Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Charles

Last edited by flanker27; 07-03-2013 at 06:00 AM.
flanker27 is offline   Reply With Quote