View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #60
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Shoot! We lost the battle for privacy the day the internet popped into existence! At this point, I think the question to ask is, "does this thing make my life easier in some significant way and is the trade in even further reduced privacy worth it?"

The internet is forever, and we are all out there, so how do we thrive in such a situation?
There are ways to exist on and use the Internet without giving up very much of your privacy. But it is much more difficult to create devices and develop software that effectively supports such use - and there is little incentive to try when there's money to be had in taking the easy way out and selling what the users don't seem to value.

I am far from convinced that locking yourself into the services of particular providers such as Google and Apple is a good long term strategy for thriving ... but that is probably a discussion for a different forum.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote