View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I don't see e-readers becoming as popular in Japan as they are in the West. Most folks in Japan have their phones in front of their faces any time they are not working or in school. It was estimated in one of the Japanese newspapers that 35% of pedestrians cross the streets without looking up from their phones. On the trains, it would appear that 75% or more of the riders are reading (or doing 'something') on the phones. Virtually everyone under the age of 30 has their phone in their hand (rather than pocket or purse) at all times, walking, shopping, waiting, etc. So far, I haven't seen a single Japanese with any brand of e-reader.

Stitchawl
Much the same here in Korea. The only people I have ever seen with an ereader have been foreigners (all imported). Koreans have no idea what they are. I've heard however that ebooks are starting to take off here: people simply read them on their tablets and giant cellphones (as horiffic as this sound to Westerners familiar with the benefits of eink)
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote