View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #49
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLake View Post
Come on, such Apple bashing is really childish, as well as blaming the Cailbre developers for not implementing every feature one may find useful.

Apple makes great hard- and software, great design and easy to use. Sometimes they omit some features and you can’t configure everything. But Linux is also not everybody’s cup of tea. You can’t blame the users for that.

Calibre is a very useful program, but its user interface could be improved, and we should help the developers in dong that instead of just complaining. Nevertheless also in this case you shouldn’t blame the users for criticizing the usability. I’ve heard such complaints from VLC developers when I told in their forum that their settings GUI was very hard to use.
Hmmm...I didn't realize Calibre was Linux based. Evidently a nice looking interface equates to better usability...in Appleland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstar View Post
Can anyone throw any light on this? I have an iphone. You'd think getting books on to an iphone might be one of the commonest tasks, and therefore pretty automated. Wrong. First off, Calibre doesn't accept .doc files as a source. But it doesn't say so straight out. It allows .doc files to be imported, but it won't convert them. (Why reject so common a format?). However, I then found out it accepts .rtf, so that problem was solved. But that was the easy part. How to get the resulting epub file onto the iphone? That took me at least an hour. Eventually I found I could drag it (not from within Calibre, but from the Calibre folder) into the Stanza section on the apps page of my iphone in iTunes. And, yes, I did study the 'help' provided in Calibre. And I did struggle with Stanza on my iphone. But when it comes to entering the IP address of my computer (a matter unknown to me), etc., etc. and some stuff about having Calibre as a server, I more or less have to give up. I know it's a free program, but really - putting an epub file on to an iphone...? Shouldn't that be simple?
IF Apple products and software are so great, then why is the OP looking for something other than an Apple product to get books onto his/her Apple product?

This user interface is pretty ugly...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usability_of_light_switch.gif
Views:	170
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	83141  
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote