View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
This is the fifth or sixth Dickens novel that I have read and it is not one of my favorites. I just didn't warm up to Esther,Allan and John Jarndyce. In other Dickens novels, he managed to have characters who were good without being bland and dull. The main good characters in this novel Allan, Esther and John just didn't work for me. They came off as walking sermons and I didn't care what happened to them.

I liked George/Phil and the Bagnet family best. I liked the Inspector Bucket scenes. Unlike Charliebird , I did find the Jellybys funny, but I agree with him about the Smallwoods.

In the end I enjoyed reading this novel because like all the Dickens that I have read, he creates a fantastic world and I enjoy getting to experience such a different time and place.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote