View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
RachDvn
RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RachDvn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
The file I converted last night where the waypoints are working, has no TOC. In fact, all the files I'm working with have never been published and don't have TOC's. They are the musings of many different writers in a creative writers group, and so were mostly all written in Word, saved as webpage, posted on our website. The files I'm converting have 2 origins.
1. Someone else then copy and pasted the story from our web page back into Word, and sent it off to Amazon for conversion, then emailed the azw files as attachments to me (about 500 files) to convert with Calibre so I can spruce them up.
2. I (stupidly?) volunterred to run the eBook conversions from here on out, and so have a second round of stories that I've been copy and pasting from our website back into Word, with intention of saving as filtered web page and converting to mobi.

I would assume most of the original docs/azws have no chapter markers at all. I've forced them with heuristics, which does now give me chapter breaks (most of the time). I've tried selecting "Force Use of TOC" but have never seen a TOC appear. I've attached a file (72 Hours) which has no TOC (and no options selected for a TOC), yet after conversion from azw, functioned with the 5-way controller. Admitedly, this is not the case with most files I've tested, but an oddity (About 2 in 10)

I've also attached a file, Binkie's Snapshot (Word and resulting mobi) that has chapter detection (thanks to heuristics), but I can't make a TOC appear, therefore still no working waypoints. I guess I'm not understanding what needs to be done to it.

I've had several recommendations to use Sigil instead of Word, which I may do in the future, but for the hundreds of files i have now, I think I'd loose my mind if I had to hand edit each one. I'm also a bit intimated by the program as I'm a bit over my head and the little I've played with it, can't figure out what I'ma ctually meant to do with it, lol. Sorry to sound like such a dunce.

If anyone has time to look at these attachments and help me untangle myself, I'd kiss you on webcam

~Rach
Attached Files
File Type: mobi 72 Hours - RangerCraving (Linda).mobi (24.4 KB, 273 views)
File Type: mobi Binkie's Snapshot - Rach.mobi (100.6 KB, 279 views)
File Type: doc Binkie's Snapshot by Rach.doc (66.5 KB, 348 views)
RachDvn is offline   Reply With Quote