View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #96
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There have to be restrictions on what one is or is not allowed to do with intellectual property.
But why? I don't think you've given a good reason for this statement. It's obviously something you believe very strongly. I'm not convinced, however.

Copyright protection exists for one reason only - to encourage the production of art for the good of society. There is no other reason to have the law - there is no universal right to have your creation protected from copying.

So if copyright protection is not needed in order to encourage production, or it is not effective, or if it harms society more than it aids, then it is not fulfilling its purpose, and should be abandoned or reworked.

I would argue that all three of these things are true, and that copyright (for the most part) is an outdated concept that is meaningless in an age of digital plenty. For the good of society, copyright law should be reworked to reflect the lack of scarcity and the unbinding of creative works from physical media.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote