Thread: Seriousness DRM != Piracy
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul
I never specically acused anyone of being a pirate. I just cannot think of a really ligitimate reason why anyone would want to ligitemately make many copies of a best selling book.
I think one of p2aul's misconceptions is that objecting to DRM necessarily means that you want to make lots of copies, or that you want to format shift, which he also seems to consider wrong.

I want to read my Mobipokcet format ebooks on my current mobipocket reader. I also want to be able to read them on my next one, when the current one dies. I want to do this without having to download them all again from the original source. This is both in terms of convenience (downloading many hundreds of books is inconvenient at best) and because it may no longer be possible to do so.

This is my objection to DRM. A DRMed ebook is one that I may well not be able to read any longer at some point in the not-too-distant future.

So I make sure that I don't buy any DRMed ebooks that can't have the DRM easily stripped from them.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote